People definitely respect "the appearance of success". If it seems like you are doing well and have achieved a lot, most people treat you differently. It's a double-edged sword though. It's like it's cool to have all your hard work viewed as such by others and get the respect.
However, sometimes people draw the wrong conclusions about you and others who aren't as successful use your success as fuel for jealousy. Jealousy is a normal human feeling but successful people are too often on the receiving end of that feeling.
Success is definitely worth the extra effort if you can handle the negativity. If negativity from others affects you too much, then you won't be successful for too long because you will feel that you have to be less successful to appease those people.
I believe it really depends on your definition of success. Does it mean the acquiring of material possessions or is success in the form of being balanced in everything you do? If I were asked to choose I would say that I fall into the latter. I've never had much materially and don't plan to seek to have anymore that just the necessities. I answer this way because the acquiring of things sometimes inflates the ego of the person who has them. Who you used to be no longer exists. What is left is a shell of your former self. I don't ever see me sacrificing my family life or peace of mind just to obtain the newest and the latest. Another thing I've noticed is that if you do attain to the balance that I spoke of above, people look at you in a different light. They understand that a thirst for things is not what drives you. But, a desire to impact those around you for the better. Case in point: As a result of my going to college and finishing, all of my siblings are either preparing to go or have already had some form of college education. See, where the line has to be drawn is when the success you feel you've achieved can't be shared with others. You began to have that "i'm too good for that....." attitude. You forget the way that you got to where you are is by being sensible. Sometimes one maybe too good for a situation but you continue in that situation because it will yield a better outcome for those involved.
So, yeah success does put you in a different light, but which light you stand in is your choice. If you continually beat down those around you with you success then you'll incur negativity, but if your success manifests itself in the form of encouraging someone to pass up the easy road for the difficult road in life that is success, you'll see that a difference can be made and lives can be touched.
People definitely respect "the appearance of success". If it seems like you are doing well and have achieved a lot, most people treat you differently. It's a double-edged sword though. It's like it's cool to have all your hard work viewed as such by others and get the respect.
ReplyDeleteHowever, sometimes people draw the wrong conclusions about you and others who aren't as successful use your success as fuel for jealousy. Jealousy is a normal human feeling but successful people are too often on the receiving end of that feeling.
Success is definitely worth the extra effort if you can handle the negativity. If negativity from others affects you too much, then you won't be successful for too long because you will feel that you have to be less successful to appease those people.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI believe it really depends on your definition of success. Does it mean the acquiring of material possessions or is success in the form of being balanced in everything you do? If I were asked to choose I would say that I fall into the latter. I've never had much materially and don't plan to seek to have anymore that just the necessities. I answer this way because the acquiring of things sometimes inflates the ego of the person who has them. Who you used to be no longer exists. What is left is a shell of your former self. I don't ever see me sacrificing my family life or peace of mind just to obtain the newest and the latest. Another thing I've noticed is that if you do attain to the balance that I spoke of above, people look at you in a different light. They understand that a thirst for things is not what drives you. But, a desire to impact those around you for the better. Case in point: As a result of my going to college and finishing, all of my siblings are either preparing to go or have already had some form of college education. See, where the line has to be drawn is when the success you feel you've achieved can't be shared with others. You began to have that "i'm too good for that....." attitude. You forget the way that you got to where you are is by being sensible. Sometimes one maybe too good for a situation but you continue in that situation because it will yield a better outcome for those involved.
ReplyDeleteSo, yeah success does put you in a different light, but which light you stand in is your choice. If you continually beat down those around you with you success then you'll incur negativity, but if your success manifests itself in the form of encouraging someone to pass up the easy road for the difficult road in life that is success, you'll see that a difference can be made and lives can be touched.